Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Alma 60-61


Moroni writes again to Pahoran, the governor of the land, who still has not sent any support to Moroni or Helaman and their armies. This time, his letter doesn’t pull any punches. Check out the fire and passion in a few of these excerpts from this man who has given his life to his people and their freedom:
 7 Can you think to sit upon your thrones in a state of thoughtless stupor, while your enemies are spreading the work of death around you? Yea, while they are murdering thousands of your brethren...
10 And now, my beloved brethren—for ye ought to be beloved; yea, and ye ought to have stirred yourselves more diligently for the welfare and the freedom of this people; but behold, ye have neglected them insomuch that the blood of thousands shall come upon your heads for vengeance... 23 Do ye suppose that God will look upon you as guiltless while ye sit still and behold these things? Behold I say unto you, Nay. Now I would that ye should remember that God has said that the inward vessel shall be cleansed first, and then shall the outer vessel be cleansed also. 24 And now, except ye do repent of that which ye have done, and begin to be up and doing, and send forth food and men unto us…behold it will be expedient that we contend no more with the Lamanites until we have first cleansed our inward vessel, yea, even the great head of our government... 27 And I will come unto you, and if there be any among you that has a desire for freedom, yea, if there be even a spark of freedom remaining, behold I will stir up insurrections among you, even until those who have desires to usurp power and authority shall become extinct. 28 Yea, behold I do not fear your power nor your authority, but it is my God whom I fear; and it is according to his commandments that I do take my sword to defend the cause of my country, and it is because of your iniquity that we have suffered so much loss... 30 Behold, I wait for assistance from you; and, except ye do administer unto our relief, behold, I come unto you, even in the land of Zarahemla, and smite you with the sword, insomuch that ye can have no more power to impede the progress of this people in the cause of our freedom... 36 Behold, I am Moroni, your chief captain. I seek not for power, but to pull it down. I seek not for honor of the world, but for the glory of my God, and the freedom and welfare of my country.

Moroni finally hears back from Pahoran, and he discovers things are not as he assumed. Pahoran has been run out of town by a large rebellion group who has taken over the capital city of Zarahemla, and the rebellion group is planning to hand the city over to the Lamanites. Pahoran has been building up support to fight back, but has been hesitating at the idea of attacking his own people.

Pahoran is my hero. Most people who receive misplaced criticism become very defensive and offended. And to call Moroni’s letter “misplaced criticism” is an understatement. It is a scathing rebuke, accusing him of lounging in gluttony while his entire nation perishes, and threatening him with hell fire and the mutiny of his own army, when in reality Pahoran has been a victim to perilous circumstances just like Moroni and his armies. But how does Pahoran react to Moroni’s letter?
9 And now, in your epistle you have censured me, but it mattereth not; I am not angry, but do rejoice in the greatness of your heart. I, Pahoran, do not seek for power, save only to retain my judgment-seat that I may preserve the rights and the liberty of my people. My soul standeth fast in that liberty in the which God hath made us free.
That is why Pahoran is my hero. It takes a strong man to lead armies and cities. But it takes an even stronger man to humbly forgive, and choose to see the good intentions of a friend who made a big and harsh mistake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment