Friday, May 16, 2014

Alma 35-36

Alma 35
The preaching of the Word of God causes quite the stir in Zarahemla because it did “destroy the craft” of many of the rulers, priests, and teachers in the land. They gang up on the believers and kick them out of the city, but the believers find a new home with the people of Alma in Jershon. This makes the rulers of Zarahemla mad, and they join up with the Lamanites to start making preparations for war against the believers.

In the meantime, Alma is depressed and disturbed “that the hearts of the people began to wax hard, and that they began to be offended because of the strictness of the word (vs. 15)” so he gathers his own sons together to have a father/son heart-to-heart. The chapters to come are full of rich doctrines of the gospel which he shares with them in his fatherly counsel.

Alma has a heart-to-heart with his oldest son, Helaman. We get to read a beautiful re-telling of Alma’s miraculous conversion story. If you recall, when Alma was younger (actually we refer to him as “Alma the Younger”), he was rebellious and hateful against the church. Along with his buddies, the sons of Mosiah, he spent his time trying to pull down the church even though his own father (Alma Sr.) was the high priest of the church. But in answer to Alma Sr.’s prayers, God sent an angel to stir these boys up, and to their credit they immediately changed their ways and became powerful missionaries and forces for good.


We got to read this story in Mosiah 27, but here in Alma 36 we get to hear Alma’s side of the story, including what he went through during the 3 days he was unconscious to the outside world. 

Alma’s experience is a beautiful lesson about the power and reality of repentance through Jesus Christ. Alma had been a really bad dude… and he knew it. He explains how deeply terrified he was, because he knew how bad he had been:
14… so great had been my iniquities, that the very thought of coming into the presence of my God did rack my soul with inexpressible horror.
15 Oh, thought I, that I could be banished and become extinct both soul and body, that I might not be brought to stand in the presence of my God, to be judged of my deeds.
But because Alma had a good dad who never gave up on him, and had always taught him where he could turn for help, he remembered Jesus Christ in this time of desperate fear:
17… I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.
18 Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.
19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.
20 And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!
22 Yea, methought I saw, even as our father Lehi saw, God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels, in the attitude of singing and praising their God; yea, and my soul did long to be there.
I marvel at the contrast—at first he wishes he could be “banished and become extinct both soul and body, that I might not be brought to stand in the presence of my God,” and then as he begins to turn to Jesus Christ he does a 180 and his “soul did long to be there” with God and his angels!

What a powerful and drastic change. I know that Jesus Christ can bring about drastic change inside any of us—in whatever specific way we need to change. This story has the danger of giving the impression that Jesus Christ changes us instantly and easily (it is a very abbreviated account), and I think the majority of the time the repentance/change process is slower, more subtle, and takes a lot of work on our part, but the end result is absolutely achievable for everyone in every circumstance. That is what Jesus Christ is all about—YOU are what He is all about and He will never give up on you.
3 … I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day.

No comments:

Post a Comment