Sunday, November 3, 2013

Alma 10-11

Alma 10


Amulek takes the stage to preach to the people! We learn that he is from an impressive blood-line, and that he is actually a wealthy and well-known person in the community, which is why the people of Ammonihah are so surprised to see him up preaching with Alma!

Even though Amulek was from a blood-line of influential religious leaders, he confesses that he had never really been into the religion thing. I appreciate the accountability Amulek is willing to take for his decision to ignore spiritual things earlier in his life:
Nevertheless, after all this, I never have known much of the ways of the Lord, and his mysteries and marvelous power. I said I never had known much of these things; but behold, I mistake, for I have seen much of his mysteries and his marvelous power; yea, even in the preservation of the lives of this people.
Nevertheless, I did harden my heart, for I was called many times and I would not hear; therefore I knew concerning these things, yet I would not know;
He tells the people that he now believes Alma and what he testifies. Amulek has an advantage, because an angel came to him to tell him to help and accept Alma. But he also believes because of his own personal experience with Alma:
 11 For behold, he hath blessed mine house, he hath blessed me, and my women, and my children, and my father and my kinsfolk; yea, even all my kindred hath he blessed, and the blessing of the Lord hath rested upon us according to the words which he spake.
I don’t think this just means that Alma “blessed his house” by touching each person’s head and uttering a blessing, like a priest would do. I think it means that Amulek saw change and goodness and benefits come to his family as a direct result of Alma being there. That, to me, is the real evidence of a true servant of God.

Amulek then begins to preach repentance, warning the people of Ammonihah that they need to repent or they will be destroyed. You will find this warning he issues to be very relevant later: 
22 Yea, and I say unto you that if it were not for the prayers of the righteous, who are now in the land, that ye would even now be visited with utter destruction;
23 But it is by the prayers of the righteous that ye are spared; now therefore, if ye will cast out the righteous from among you then will not the Lord stay his hand; but in his fierce anger he will come out against you;
Also I will add, many people aren’t very comfortable with the concept of the fierce anger of the Lord or the destructive power of the Lord. Usually I’m not either and I don’t think God is like that in most cases… but just wait until you see how horrendous these people really are—and you might feel some fierce anger, too!


The Nephite Lawyers and Judges like to stir up trouble in their cities, because they are paid per gig. Zeezrom, one particularly cunning lawyer, steps forward to debate with Amulek and tries to trip him up in his words and make the crowd angry with him.

I appreciate Zeezrom’s trouble-making-attempts, actually, because during this exchange we learn some beautiful and important doctrine from Amulek, including:
  • Christ can and will save every single person from our sins IF we properly repent and access his power in the way he has laid out for us. But if we choose not to use this gift he has provided, he cannot save us IN our sins if we refuse to change. (vs. 34-37) 
37 And I say unto you again that he cannot save them in their sins; for I cannot deny his word, and he hath said that no unclean thing can inherit the kingdom of heaven; therefore, how can ye be saved, except ye inherit the kingdom of heaven? Therefore, ye cannot be saved in your sins.
  • Similar to the point above, each person must choose to believe and follow Christ in order to utilize his redemptive power. To those who choose to reject Christ, it is as though no redemption was made EXCEPT that they will all live again, no matter what (i.e. every person will be resurrected thanks to Christ’s sacrifice, but the conditions and rewards thereafter will differ according to personal choice and worthiness). Did you know that?? This doctrine is incredible to me (read the verses below, they are amazing)!



40 And he shall come into the world to redeem his people; and he shall take upon him the transgressions of those who believe on his name; and these are they that shall have eternal life, and salvation cometh to none else.

 41 Therefore the wicked remain as though there had been no redemption made, except it be the loosing of the bands of death; for behold, the day cometh that all shall rise from the dead and stand before God, and be judged according to their works.

42 Now, there is a death which is called a temporal death; and the death of Christ shall loose the bands of this temporal death, that all shall be raised from this temporal death.

43 The spirit and the body shall be reunited again in its perfect form; both limb and joint shall be restored to its proper frame, even as we now are at this time; and we shall be brought to stand before God, knowing even as we know now, and have a bright recollection of all our guilt.

44 Now, this restoration shall come to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteous; and even there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost; but every thing shall be restored to its perfect frame, as it is now, or in the body, and shall be brought and be arraigned before the bar of Christ the Son, and God the Father, and the Holy Spirit, which is one Eternal God, to be judged according to their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment