Thursday, April 18, 2013

2 Nephi 29-30




The idea of a second book of scripture in addition to the Bible is a new concept for a lot of people. Some Christians are even upset by the claim, feeling like it threatens the importance or validity of the Bible. But to me, the reason the Bible is so important is because it contains the word of God—and the word of God is not limited to one book (assembled piece by piece a few hundred years after the life of Christ). The Lord will have words to give us as long as we are willing to receive them! This chapter of the Book of Mormon says this so beautifully:

 3 And because my words shall hiss forth—many of the Gentiles shall say: A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible.
 7 Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?
 8 Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.
 9 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.
 10 Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written.

Similar to 2 Nephi 27, this chapter is a prophecy of the future (written in 550 BC and referring to our century approximately), and I will try to provide basic interpretation as to what some verses are talking about:

vs. 3
“The book of which I have spoken”
The Book of Mormon (which was written 600BC-400AD and translated/published in 1830 AD)
vs. 3
Gentiles
pretty much anyone who isn’t a Jew
vs. 3
“Sealed up again unto the Lord”
after the golden plates were translated into English and the Book of Mormon was officially published, the Angel Moroni took the plates back from Joseph Smith to keep them safe
vs. 3
“there shall be many which shall believe the words which are written”
Me! And millions of others who believe what is written in the Book of Mormon
vs. 3
“and they shall carry them forth unto the remnant of our seed”
LDS missionaries or regular church members who share the Book of Mormon with Native American and South/Central American people (because they are the descendants of Lehi and Nephi!)
vs. 4
“then shall the remnant of our seed know concerning us… that they are descendants of the Jews.”
That’s right… the Native Americans and the indigenous people of South/Central America are descendants of the Jews (a couple thousand years removed)
vs. 5-6
“And the gospel of Jesus Christ shall be declared among them; wherefore, they shall be restored unto the knowledge of their fathers… then shall they rejoice; for they shall know that it is a blessing unto them from the hand of God; and their scales of darkness shall begin to fall from their eyes”
South and Central America is the fastest growing area of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints—faster even than in the U.S.
vs. 8
“the Lord God shall commence his work among all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, to bring about the restoration of his people upon the earth.”
The spreading of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints across the world through its missionary efforts
vs. 9-18
Those familiar with the Bible may also recognize these as Isaiah verses
These verses are talking about the time of the 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ (still yet to come!)

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post Megan. Another thing I love about the Book of Mormon is that it provides strong evidence that the Bible is actually true. The things written in the Book of Mormon are another witness that the events in the Bilbe actually occurred. I believe any sincere person who does a serious study of the two books will recognize that both books are ultimately from the same source: God and his inspiration to men who wrote these things down. They have the same message.

    ReplyDelete