Wednesday, March 20, 2013

2 Nephi 11


2 Nephi 11
We are headed into the largest chunk of quoted “Isaiah chapters” in the Book of Mormon. Take a big breath and get ready to push through (I'll probably just cover all of them together briefly in my next post). But even though the Isaiah chapters are difficult to understand, I think it’s awesome to understand WHY Nephi and Jacob want to quote Isaiah so much. To them, Isaiah’s words testify the most clearly of Christ, because Isaiah SAW Christ… and we learn that Nephi and Jacob did, too:

 2 And now I, Nephi, write more of the words of Isaiah, for my soul delighteth in his words. For I will liken his words unto my people, and I will send them forth unto all my children, for he verily saw my Redeemer, even as I have seen him.
 3 And my brother, Jacob, also has seen him as I have seen him; wherefore, I will send their words forth unto my children to prove unto them that my words are true. Wherefore, by the words of three, God hath said, I will establish my word. Nevertheless, God sendeth more witnesses, and he proveth all his words.

This concept about “God sending more witnesses to prove all his words” is so important. The New Testament says multiple times that “in the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established (1 Corinthians 13:1, Matthew 18:16, and more). And that’s what the Book of Mormon is all about!—it is “another Testament of Jesus Christ” sent by God as a second witness to the Bible that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Savior of mankind. Its purpose is to bring mankind to Jesus Christ:

4 Behold, my soul delighteth in proving unto my people the truth of the coming of Christ; for, for this end hath the law of Moses been given; and all things which have been given of God from the beginning of the world, unto man, are the typifying of him.
 5 And also my soul delighteth in the covenants of the Lord which he hath made to our fathers; yea, my soul delighteth in his grace, and in his justice, and power, and mercy in the great and eternal plan of deliverance from death.
 6 And my soul delighteth in proving unto my people that save Christ should come all men must perish.

And now as we jump into the Isaiah chapters, just remember that if any of the verses jump out at you, you can apply any of them to you—Nephi says so!

 8 And now I write some of the words of Isaiah, that whoso of my people shall see these words may lift up their hearts and rejoice for all men. Now these are the words, and ye may liken them unto you and unto all men.

No comments:

Post a Comment