Thursday, February 28, 2013

2 Nephi 4-5


2 Nephi 4

BYU Men’s Chorus singing “I Love the Lord” to the tune of “Be Still My Soul” which is based on “Nephi’s Psalm” in 2 Nephi 4 (I spotted a handful of people I know singing in the choir! I lOvE BYU Men’s Chorus—choir music doesn’t get any better than what I’ve seen/heard them do!) 

The 2nd half of this chapter is known as “Nephi’s Psalm.” He laments over his weaknesses and sins, which is great insight into the humanity and humility of Nephi who was a powerful prophet and yet still had plenty of weaknesses. But the focus of his Psalm is the hope that his weakness can be redeemed by the Lord. After expressing his sorrow and frustration with his weakness he declares:

19… Nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted.
 20 My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep.
 21 He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh.
 30 Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation.

I think the attitude expressed in this chapter is the key to life! I need to be humble and acknowledge how weak and flawed I am… and at the same time have hope and optimism knowing that the Lord will provide me with all the strength and help I need if I turn to him in humility and faith.

I should also mention that Lehi passes away in the beginning of the chapter. But before he dies he finishes blessing all his children and grandchildren. He gives a blessing to Laman and Lemuel’s children that if they are cursed because of the wicked ways they have been taught by their parents, most of the responsibility will be on the heads of their parents.

The Big Break! Tensions get so bad between Nephi and Laman/Lemuel that the Lord warns Nephi to take everyone who wants to follow him (and follow the Lord) and take off into the wilderness to establish their own community and people. And thus, the “Nephites” and the “Lamanites” are born.
 
Nephi mentions many elements of the Nephi way of life. Look for the following, and ask yourself why these things are important, and why Nephi might say “we lived after the manner of happiness” (vs. 27)
  • They did observe to keep the judgments, and the statutes, and the commandments of the Lord in all things (vs. 10)
  • They were industrious and worked hard (vs. 11, 15, 17)
  • They had the scriptures and the Liahona (vs. 12)
  • They prepared to defend themselves against attack (vs. 14)
  • They built a temple (vs. 16)
Also I should comment on vs. 21-25. The Lord puts a “curse” on the Lamanites to differentiate them from the Nephites so that the Nephites will not want to mix with them. The curse is a “skin of blackness”—similar to what happened to Cain in the Bible to make him and his seed stand out. I do not think this means in any way that white skin is good and black skin is bad. It is simply different so that the people of God could physically recognize those who had chosen to not follow God and would stay separate. (Today God certainly doesn’t try to “divide us” by skin color anymore—and I couldn’t tell you why He did it in biblical days.)


No comments:

Post a Comment